I came across this SxSW presentation a few days ago and I haven’t been able to get it out of my head. Each rule and value that designer and entrepreneur, Swissmiss, spoke about resonated with me, so much so that I printed them off and posted them in our home office.
The 11 rules and values Swissmiss chooses to live by, both in her professional and personal life. To fully appreciate the rules and values you will have to watch the presentation.
- Invest your life in what you love
- Embrace enthusiasm
- Don’t complain, make things better
- You gotta trust, you gotta empower
- Put experiences before money
- Surround yourself with like-minded people
- Collaborate whenever you can
- Ignore haters
- Make time to think and breathe
- If an opportunity scares you, take it
- Be someone’s eccentric aunt
Also, two quotes she shares in her presentation:
Who you hang out with determines what you dream about and what you collide with.
And the collisions and the dreams lead to your changes.
And the changes are what you become.
Change the outcome by changing your circle.
– Seth Godin
We systematically overestimate the value of access to information and underestimate the value of access to each other.
– Clay Shirky